Friday, November 15, 2013

Balancing work and play

By Keely Blanch

University is a strange environment. On the one hand it offers training and the opportunity to make lifelong friendships and connections. On the other, it tends to be its own little microcosm, a parallel universe where, apart from the part-time job, the participants can all too easily become distanced from the rest of society while studying.The longer you're in the uni system, the more this may hold true.

One of the risks of postgrad study is becoming so immersed in the research process that you lose sight of the rest of your life. You know, those other things like family, friends, hobbies and sports that tend to be sacrificed for that next 500 or 1000 words that just have to be written. However, one day that chapter, even possibly the whole thesis, will be finished. What then?

I've noticed that all too often it is easy for students (myself included) to ignore the need for work/life balance. Sure, grad services at your institution will probably offer various support structures - Otago  for instance offers motivational coaches, postgrad activities, seminars etc all aimed at supporting postgrad study - but what about when your thesis is finished? Take my case. During my initial postgrad study years I made the classic mistake of focussing more on my thesis than on the rest of my life. I let things get out of balance.  I finished my MA, wrote an article, did some RA work, tutored a bit and suddenly my PhD start date was upon me. While I didn't get the couple of months completely off that I'd hoped, I did get a chance to reconnect in person with my non-university friends.  Luckily for me, my friends are an understanding bunch and apart from threatening that I would need a name badge, welcomed me back into the regular get togethers I'd so often missed over the last few years.

Anecdotally I've heard from other postgrads that they finish studying only to end up feeling lost and alone. Over the years of study they sacrificed their social circles and non-uni life for the good of their thesis. Between their experiences and my own, I'm embarking on my PhD with some new goals for the next 3 years.

1. First up is to recognise that (gasp) it's only a thesis. It's a full-time job, not the only reason I live and breathe. Maybe this seems heresy to some, and it will be interesting to see if I sustain this for 3 years, but I did discover during my MA that when I refused to work on weekends my productivity increased and the quality lifted. I put it down to the weekend time allowing me to recharge my batteries. Plus seeing my husband and kids is kind of nice.

2. I'm going to put more effort into staying connected with my friends - in person, not just via text and facebook.

3. Hobbies can be relaxing and taking half an hour to 'play' is a great way to unwind.

4. Exercise is good. Yes, I never tought I'd be writing that either, but I've discovered the joy of a half hour walk at lunchtime. A break and fresh air.

So what do you think I've missed? Any other tips and tricks to maintaining a work/life balance and staying sane through the research process?



No comments:

Post a Comment