Tuesday, June 23, 2015

The journeys within the research journey: Making time for wellbeing

by Kim Brown

Some mornings it's easy to find inspiration to fuel my thinking.

My cycle journey to university presents many of the same features each day, experienced a little differently.

Loosing feeling in my hands and feet is not the most obvious contribution to a sense of wellbeing, but it sure helps me to appreciate my office once I get there.

Embracing the day needs more than a glorious sunrise; a good breakfast and a radiator to dry wet clothes have a part to play.

And some days, moving around on a bike is just tested to the limits


Other times I just need to be alert to unanticipated things (like giant ducks) to energise my thinking about research.


Winding down and the journey home instills a sense of calm and wellbeing that leaves the research high and lows behind ...

even when it's blowing a gale (or maybe I'm just expending too much energy to think of anything else).

This photo blog is an illustration of the peace and freedom to think of other things that is as much a part of my research time as the obvious activities. Making time for my regular cycle journey to university is a "difference that makes a difference" (Bateson, 1972).

Do share photos of the things that contribute to your wellbeing along the research journey over on our Facebook page or Twitter (unfortunately it's not possible to put images in comments).


1 comment:

  1. Just posted a picture on the Facebook page :) - taking time to listen to the birds

    ReplyDelete