Monday, August 31, 2015

Beyond the page: Little & Thursdays

by Lara Sanderson



This is (for now) the last post in the beyond the page series and it ends in a MOOC (massive open online course). A critical part of our postgrad journey is to maintain wellness, emotional and physical - hence why our passions are so important - they nourish our wellbeing so that we are better equipped to face anything that might come our way. 

The postgrad journey isn't an easy one and students often feel alone and isolated so at Australian National University, Dr. Inger Mewburn aka The Thesis Whisperer has set up a MOOC class for specifically PhD students (and friends, and supervisors) to survive your PhD. I first read her description from her blog and saw myself reflected in what she was describing; imposter syndrome and the yips (especially the yips). So I signed up that same day. I found out that Kim (fellow 4th floorer & PhD Candidate) had also decided to undertake the MOOC so Little & Thursdays was born. 

Little & Thursdays is so far Kim and I sitting in her office, meeting up, supporting each other to complete the tasks required of us. Last week was our first module - Kim and I met in her office - me with Hot Chocolate and Pain au Chocolat in my hands aka Breakfast, to read, write, and reflect. We were asked to introduce ourselves but also to think of what types of emotions we experience; a gentle introduction to the course that had us reflecting deeply on our experiences so far.

Being an online forum, it utilises Twitter with the hashtag #survivephd15 and conversations spill out from the MOOC on to twitter in an instant - I ended up a day later in a conversation about exercising tips, with tongue in cheek, I suggested office dancing, and the use of a dog as an exercising buddy both of which I subscribe to whole heartedly! I can be found on twitter @Lara_Sanderson 

I am excited to see what else is to come!

If you have joined this MOOC - let us know, we want to hear from you! If you have taken a MOOC before what have your experiences been?


5 comments:

  1. Hi Lara,
    Nice post!

    Am a close-to-PhDer in Sunny Nelson, also doing Inger's edX MOOC. Keen to form a community of (Kiwi) interest ...if you are interested ? ;-D

    Have created a page at https://www.facebook.com/kiwiphders if you would like to sign up to share ideas and resources? Hopefully might be easier to find posts on there than on the edX blog which is drowning me at the mo'

    Warmest regards

    Sam Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam - thank you so much for creating the page!! You really have to search for those posts dont you - or endlessly scroll LOL I have found giving mine weird slightly memorable titles that I can find my posts easier (only in the main discussion page search) - you're at the begining of your journey - so exciting!! Looking forward to chatting and catching up in cyberspace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clicked to this from the Facebook page - while I finished my PhD in 1999, I'm doing the MOOC to stay up to date with issues faced by students doing PhDs with whom I am working, and in one case mentoring. Hang on in there you two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clicked to this from the Facebook page - while I finished my PhD in 1999, I'm doing the MOOC to stay up to date with issues faced by students doing PhDs with whom I am working, and in one case mentoring. Hang on in there you two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pip - nice to hear from you - thanks for dropping us a line - its been really interesting so far hasnt - this week I am afraid to say is me in a nutshell - so it will be interesting to see the discussions!! Hope to see you in cyberspace!

      Delete