Monday, August 3, 2015

Beyond the page: Postgrad passions

by Lara Sanderson, Megan Anakin, Lien Trinh & Keely Blanch.

 It is in the compelling zest of high adventure and of victory, and in creative action, 
that man finds his supreme joys. ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery 


In this collaborative post we welcome both new and regular contributors to this blog to reflect on their passions beyond the page. This marks the beginning of a series of posts celebrating not only the postgrad but the lives! Often encouraged to write a thesis in an area we are passionate about (so we maintain our focus), it is not surprising that our passions can in fact reflect our topic or vice versa. However, when deep in the thesis writing or research it is also those passions that tend to take a back seat to the task of producing a thesis. This can lead to a mourning the loss of those passions, yet as Megan reflects, its the everyday passions that can be incorporated so you never have a sense of 'missing out' or it can be a big reward like overseas travel as Lien discusses.

1. What are you most passionate doing outside of your research?
 
Photo: Lien Trin, Puppet Colony, Jaipur
Megan: (other than my family) riding my bicycle. For example, on Friday morning I went out for a stellar ride - meaning I was out at 5am with the star draped heavens above me. There was no moon and the air was dry so you could see every star in the sky. Riding in the pitch black can be hazardous, such as not seeing the road, but the benefits of being bathed in starlight make it worth the challenge - kind of like doing a PhD isn't it?

Lien: Photography, video shooting/ editing, traveling (backpacking) 

Lara: I am passionate about many things but my current 'obsession' would be the ukelele orchestra that I play with - the Uni Ukes 

Keely: Hmmm, my initial thought was that some days it feels like I don't do anything except couch potato, but then I actually looked at what I have been doing lately - worked on the NZ Ethics Committee; Twittered/Facebooked/blogged; did a bit of sewing/crafts; read a few books ranging from total trashy romance novels to thrillers; beach walks or hikes with the family (weather-permitting); and yes, I did do some couch surfing with Netflix. My ' passion' for any one activity varies depend on the day I've had. 


 2. Do you get time/make time for this? If so how often do you do it? 

Megan: Everyday if I can. 

Lien: Photography: once every 2-3 months Video editing: once a week Traveling abroad: once a year or once every 2 years 

Lara: I have the opportunity to jam with them once a week but this varies depending on writing stage

Keely: I tend to do these things in the evenings when I get home and I just can't thesis anymore, or in the weekends when I'm trying not to thesis. When life gets busy it's too easy to put a low priority on 'me-time' and fun pursuits, but I learnt my lesson with my MA about keeping some balance in there and not making it a habit to work 7 days a week except for rare occasional bursts. 

 3.How do you manage the Postgrad/Life balance? 

Photo: Lien Trinh, Puppet Colony, Jaipur
Megan: I struggle everyday. I find scheduling in time for my passions outside of research allows them to happen.

Lien: I try to work in the office, and once my son's gone to bed- I try my best to be involved in as many family activities as I can (I do struggle finding time for myself though- like doing things I love, not that I don't like doing things as a family) 

Lara: I don't manage - or at least I manage it very poorly - but then at times it seems that its going ok(ish) 

 Keely: Sometimes balance goes out the window if there is a deadline on and other commitments making demands, but for the most part I try not to work weekends or evenings after dinner. 

4. Words of wisdom to people struggling with the PG/Life balance 

Megan: Appreciate that it is a struggle and there's no silver bullet but sheer persistence - just like completing a PhD. 

Lien: Try to get a scholarship so you don't have to work part time. 

Lara: You are not alone! 

Keely: Treat your PhD like a job. If you don't prioritise time for you and your partner/ family then you will struggle to get through the MA year, let alone 3+ years of a PhD. 




No comments:

Post a Comment