Monday, June 13, 2016

Long Distance Study

by Donna Price

Image: unsplash.com
Distance studying was the only way I was going to be able to achieve my degree.  Initially, I commuted to Massey University to achieve my Diploma of Teaching – at the time the qualification for primary school teachers.  After completing my diploma, it took six months to find a permanent position but during the six months I realised that I needed to have a degree.
 
Distance study meant that I could work, be a mother to three, a wife, and hopefully achieve a higher level of qualification.  Make no mistake it is not easy studying on your own.  With the best of intentions, I was going to join support groups but dance lessons, swimming classes, lesson planning, marking, housework, and just daily life got in the way, so I was on my own.  I thoroughly enjoyed studying via distance but at the end of my Bachelor of Education studies I vowed and declared I would never complete another distance paper again. 
Checking out the Education Gazette one day in the staff room and there was an advertisement for the Master of Teaching programme run through University of Otago – a programme of distance study.  It took just 5 minutes to enrol.  By this time our children were older and it was easier.  The support was great and the community of practice portion of the degree made the whole experience considerably more enjoyable. Once again, upon completion the declaration of “never studying via distance again” was made.

I was strong for two years and then another advertisement in the Education Gazette enticing me to study for a Doctor of Education degree. When I finish my Doctorate, hopefully at the end of 2016, I am never, ever going to enrol in another distance learning programme again!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment